Wednesday, July 7, 2010

RealID and the forums + a new addition to the family!

Seems like eveyone is talking about this nowadays, so I give you my thoughts.

This is a BAD idea.

I don't post to the official forums often, because the ratio of good, insightful posts to shitty, trollish posts is pretty bad.  However, I do know, that if this goes live, then I will definitely NOT be posting to the forums at all.  The idea that I have to give out my real name to 11 million potential viewers is pretty terrifying.  Now, I am not worried about anyone cyber-stalking me.  Though, I do worry about my wife and other friends be stalked.  The bigger concern to me is the possible repercussions to my future employment opportunities.  We all know that employers do facebook, myspace, twitter, and web searches on  potential employees.  If your real name is attached to a forum post, then it will show up in a google search of your name.  

So, to clarify, if you are applying for a new job, and you posted with your RealID, then your prospective employer will KNOW that you play WoW.

Many people, myself included, like to keep their real life and their game life separate.  You spend time with your family and friends outside of the game, and you spend time with your WoW friends and family inside the game.  I have lots people who I would consider friends in WoW, whom I do not know IRL.  I won't RealID friend them.  So far, I have only added two RealID friends (and one of them is my wife).  I can really only think of about three more people I would consider adding.

I think the think that really gets my goat (so to speak), is the fact that when RealID was first introduced, it was touted as "optional".  You didn't have to participate, but could if you were so inclined.  Now, if you want to post in the Technical Support or Customer Support forums, you MUST reveal your real name to the world.  Even if you call Blizzard for tech support, more often than not, they direct you to the tech support forums.

*On a happier note*

The wife and I got a new dog over the holiday weekend.  He is a 3 month old chocolate lab named . . . Leroy.  We got him so that Tika (our 6 year old Malamute/Pyrenees mix) will have a playmate/companion for when we are gone all day.

Also, I would like to take this time to introduce Wisdom, my priest.  I got to take him into ICC last night (with a 4k gear score) and he scored a new belt and his rep ring, plus lots of frost badges.  He has a long way to go, but I really enjoy playing with the priest.  So, I may make some posts about the priest form time to time, at least until Cata comes out.

That is, if the RealID changes to the forums don't drive me away from the game altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment