Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Rifting we will go . . . or will we?

Attendance problems are killing us in WoW. We have three scheduled raid nights a week, but are lucky if we can actually raid once a week right now. It is really a catch 22, as we need more people to join so that we can raid more often, but who wants to join a guild that is having problems putting a raid together on a consistent basis?

So, to pass the time, several guild members have bought and started playing Rift. As I mentioned in my last post, I have done the same (because I am weak).

Now, I know this may come as a surprise to many of you, but I decided before I ever set foot in the game, that I wanted to play a tank.

I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment that way.

For those of you that don't know, in Rift, there are only four classes. Warrior, Rogue, Mage, and Cleric. Sounds boring, right? Each class has eight "callings" to choose from. However, you are limited to three callings in your spec. And initially, you are limited to the first three callings that you choose at level 1, 2, and 4. So imagine that you are new to MMOs in general. This system could get REAL confusing, REAL fast.

That aside, obviously, I am NOT new to MMOs. So what class do I choose? Why warrior of course. Duh! What calling do I choose at level 1? I'll give you three guesses (but only the first one counts).

*crickets*

No one? Okay, I'll give you a hint. It starts with the letter "P" and ends with "aladin".

I know, you're all shocked.

I rounded out my spec with Void Knight (for more magic damage reduction), and Reaver (for more AOE threat). And I started playing with ferver.

Things were moving along well, I got to about level 16 or so, and was getting ready for my first foray into a Rift dungeon, when something strange happened.

I started to resent Rift.

Everytime I login to WoW, things are just stressful and depressing…a.k.a. not fun. Rift, on the other hand is perfectly fun. I just don't want to play it anymore. Not because it is a bad game, it is probably the best MMO I have played outside of WoW, but because deep down inside, I think I blame Rift (fairly or not) for our WoW attendance problems. So now, I have a $50 game that I don't even want to play. And that makes me resent it even more. Because not only is Rift destroying my ability to have fun in WoW, but it also tricked me into paying out $50. I am not only weak, but apparently I am also a moron.

I DO know, that if my WoW guild falls apart, and we quit raiding, I will most likely just quit playing MMOs altogether. I really have no drive to go raid in Rift. As it stands right now, I can't even stand to login to Rift. I would rather go watch TV.

Maybe Star Wars: The Old Republic will capture my interest.

1 comment:

  1. Gath,

    I understand your feelings on WoW as several of us Rift'ers (god can't believe I said that) fill the same way, but even tho we are over playing Rift, we show up to raid in WoW.

    Currently I find it as an escape from WoW. I don't really need to level ANOTHER alt all the way up. Rift is giving me that outlet.

    Now, I would hate for you to quit MMO's because your a cool guy to play MMO's with. But I understand because I had quit until you guys pulled me back into WoW... I just hope it doesn't come to that.

    ReplyDelete