Monday, April 26, 2010

10s vs. 25s

Does anyone else feel like World of Warcraft is becoming the test bed for Blizzard's new MMO?  This has been an idea floating around in the back of my mind since Ulduar.  It seems like every patch, there is some big change; something that effects raiding a great deal.  For instance . . .

Today, Blizzard announced their changes in raids for Cataclysm.  To sum up:

1.       10s and 25s will share a lockout.  So you can do the 10-man version or 25-man version of a raid each lockout, but not both.

2.       10s and 25s will drop the same gear.  Not just the same ilvl, but literally, the SAME gear and the same type of badges.  25s will just drop more of it per kill. (Source)

Now, I don't have a problem with these changes.  As a matter of fact, I kinda like 'em.  When WotLK dropped, I was in a very casual guild of RL friends.  We never had enough people online to even think about 25-man raiding, so we came into WotLK looking forward to the ability to progress through the entire expansion on 10-man.  As it turns out, just after Ulduar dropped, I left that guild and joined the one I am in now.

All things considered, I still think I prefer 10-man raiding.  It feels much more like a team, like a close knit group working together to solve a problem, and much less like a job where you have to tolerate people you don't like because you need them to get the job done.

The one thing that made dealing with 25s worth it was the higher ilvl loot that 25s provided.  In Cataclysm, that will be gone.  I honestly think that both formats being equal, most people would prefer 10s to 25s.

So the big question is . . . come Cataclysm, why would anyone run a 25-man again?

No comments:

Post a Comment