Tuesday, September 7, 2010

PVP -- Alliance versus Horde and the Vengeance Battlegroup

Months . . . I mean Years Behind.

I spent pretty much all day Sunday and part of Monday PVPing in battlegrounds and Wintergrasp.  It is the first serious PVP I have done in the entire expansion (I am years behind, I know).  The last time I PVP'd this much, was around the end of BC, when I was PVPing like crazy on my druid.  Most people will tell you that many things have changed in PVP from the end of BC until now, but I argue that it is really just "more of the same".

Every Battlegroup is different.

Now, I know that every battlegroup is different, but on Vengeance Horde owns all battlegrounds except Alterac Valley (Alliance wins about 85% of AVs, don't ask me why).  On Monday, I did Random Battlegrounds for 4 1/2 hours straight (yes I played WoW most of the day on Labor Day), and still hadn't won one . . . single . . . battle.  It was pretty pathetic.  So pathetic, in fact, that I had to log off for a little while just to get away from it.  I came back a few hours later and finally won ONE battleground (and barely at that) to get the daily random competed.  One thing that I noticed that boggles my mind is the fact that Horde is just more organized than Alliance.  They run together, work as a team, generally have good healers, you know, all the things it takes to win in group play.

The family that stays together, OWNS! 

Why is it that, on my battlegroup anyway, Horde are very good at staying together and moving as a cohesive unit, and Alliance just run around looking for something to hit?  It is not uncommon to see Horde players split up into sub-groups and move together all over the battlefield.  I haven't rarely seen a solo Hordie in a battleground.  I never run into one, but generally 4+.

Go for the Healers first!

A lot of people don't like to admit this, but healers are the key to winning in organized PVP.  In the Vengeance battlegroup, it is not uncommon for Alliance to queue up for a Battleground and very have few healers.  I got a Warsong Gulch yesterday with literally NO healers in it.  Where as the Horde had three very solid heals.

Another thing I need to know is why, more often than not, do I witness Alliance players blindly pounding away on a prot warrior, instead of his pocket healer?  In my experience, Horde players do not have this same problem.  Kill the healer, kill the team.

The law of averages.

It just boggles my mind that there is such a difference in mentality between Horde and Alliance when it comes time to PVP.  I mean, there are sensible, intelligent people playing on both sides, right?  Some people may say that the more mature people gravitate to Horde side, but I know that is not always the case, as I know several people on Alliance side that are good PVPers in their own right, and plenty mature (and I am ,of course, not one of them).  But everything that I learned studying Anthropology tells me that if you take a group of people as large as a WoW battlegroup is, and divide them into two groups, there should be a pretty even split between the two in ability to perform a specific function, unless you divided the group based on the ability to perform said function.

I think an Anthropologist or Sociologist would have a field day trying to explain the phenomenon that I witnessed over the weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment